944 N. Patterson Avenue, 93111, Jim and VeLoyce Schmidt,
The April award goes to 944 N. PattersonAvenue in unincorporatedGoleta Valley. Homeowners Jim andVeLoyce Schmidt enrolled the help of son-in-law Peter new, a Cal-Poly graduate inLandscape Architecture, to give a timeless update to their landscape. That was 15 years ago and the same low maintenance plants thrive today. New Zealand ^purpurea^ flax, three queen palms and a lavender star flower, Grewia occidentalis, make up the bones while blue festuca ovina glauca and Dymondia margaretae play against the beautiful flagstone pathway. A family installed project.
Water Kings and Queens,get out your hoses
Its been a relatively dry winter, so its time to startdeep wateringyour young trees twice a month, using your Treegator if you have it.Keep up on the weeding around your tree and add up to 3-4 inches of mulch except by the root crown within 4 " of the trunk. Call us at 685-7910if you need help, additional mulch,or if you are unable to install your Treegator.
Sister Witness Tree Needs Protection Before Planned San Jose Creek Project
We all know that the San Jose Creek Flood Control project is crucial to alleviating the flooding in Old Town Goleta. We at Goleta Valley Beautiful also think that early intervention will help protect the Sister Witness Tree from any negative impacts from the project. The Sister Witness Tree is a California Sycamore that we estimate is over 250 years old that sits on the west bank of San Jose Creek about 120^ north of Hollister. It isa ^relative^ of the Witness Tree several hundred yards away across Hollister in the middle of the Sizzler Restaurant.City Council will hear comments on the draft Environmental Assessment for the San Jose Creek Project on Monday evening at City Council chambers, 130 Cremona , beginning at 6:00 PM. Let your voice be heard.
MoreApril 2007GVB accomplishments/Kudos
- Work Training Program crewsplanted 2 trees on the Kellogg campus and assisted in relocating 8 Honor Tree plaques at Girsh park to temporary locations.We^re working with Girsh Park officials to improve tree conditions there.
- Carpinteria Beautiful received another shipment of 10 Portola Sycamore clones grown at our Devereux nursery, which they planted in Carpinteria as part of their Arbor Day ceremonies.
- The Nason Litter Crewspent 21 hours collecting 12 bags of roadside litter, including an increase of Nyquil bottles. Hmmm.
- Although UCSB has bought the Devereux campus, Devereux will remain.GVB activities with the clients at the Greenhouse are increasing, with volunteers Stacia and Adran contributing 24 service hours in March.
- 27 members of the GVB Advisory Council and GVB Board of Directors met at the Edison Conference Room on 3/21. This is an annual review to map out strategies for what will and won^t be in futurework plans for GVB.
- GVB Board members Phebe Mansur and Zea Bauer led Science Night activities at Brandon School, while Zea^s husband Joe lent his considerable skills in Excel spreadsheets toa GVBresearch project projecting the long term benefits of costs of Goleta trees.
Whew, busy month. Time for a short vacation-no fooling.
Citizen Pruners - Sharpen Your Snips, We need you.
For those of you recently trained at our February workshop, we have young tree care pruning projects all over the Goleta Valley to deal with frost damage, raising crowns to allow for ground maintenance, and formative pruning. Flexible hours. Call 685-7910 for assignments.
Your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org@cox.netwill help us build a better communications link.