Goleta Valley Beautiful News
NEW OFFICE SITE: 5638 Hollister Suite 200D Goleta CA 93117 Phone: 683-0121 Website; www.goletavalleybeautiful.org
Mailing address PO Box 6756 Goleta CA 93160-6756 GVB cell phone 252-1952, E-mail email@example.com
Call 252-1952 now for reservations to the Goleta Valley
Beautiful Annual Holiday Dinner,
Thursday, December 8 5:30 to 8 PM Camino Real Cafe
1. GVB Community Service opportunities -General public welcome, especially jr.high to college students
Dec 7.14, Tree Plantings & Maintenance- Wednesdays 8:30 AM-11:30 AM Call us for location.
Dec 21 Working with Certified arborist and supervised Work Training Program clients. RSVP 252-1952
Dec 3 Tree Planting Preparation - Saturday 8:00-4:30 Meet at San Marcos Rd & Yaple. Two hour or more shifts preparing street tree sites for planting. RSVP 252-1952
Dec 10 -Tree Inventory - Saturday 9-12 Meet at Stonebridge Open Space, Cathedral Oaks Road east of San Pedro Creek. Join volunteers in counting and measuring trees. No experience needed. RSVP 252-1952
Dec 17 Tree Inventory - Saturday 9-12, 1-4 Meet at La Goleta Open Space at La Goleta and Manzanillo. Join volunteers in counting and measuring trees. No experience needed RSVP 252-1952
Dec 10,24 Anti-litter cleanup - 9 to 11 AM Report litter problems to Don & Judy Nason of Cambridge Drive Community Church at 964-0436, and volunteer to help with clean-up crews on the 2nd & 4th Sat.
Ongoing Winchester Canyon Entryway Maintenance - Variable hours- NW Corner of Cathedral Oaks and Winchester Canyon -Assist in weeding,watering site. No experience necessary. Tools provided. Contact Lauren Gleason at 685-2653
Ongoing Develop your own neighborhood public area beautification project!
Goleta Valley Beautiful will provide resources and expertise to youth groups and service organizations interested in developing tree planting, maintenance, educational and clean-up programs in public areas. Call 252-1952 to develop a project.
Ongoing Graffiti Cleanup - Report graffiti to Ed Graper at 964-7117 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Contact Ed if you would like to help remove graffiti in your area. Supplies and training provided.
Ongoing Board of Directors Two openings for remaining one year terms (until 7/1/06) Call 252-1952 or send e-mail to email@example.com for more information.
Wanted - Volunteer to assist in putting together a display case for the Goleta Valley Public Library. Call 252-1952
2. GVB Award of the Month
- Dec 8 Goleta Valley Beautiful Holiday Party - 5:30 - 8:00 PM, Camino Real Cafe
- Jan 21,28 Annual Honor Tree Maintenance 9-Noon -Optimist Grove, Los Carneros Park
- Feb 4- Basic Young Tree Care 2 Workshop - 8 AM - Noon, GUSD Board Room
- Feb 4- Project Learning Tree Workshop - 1 - 5 PM, GUSD Board Room
December Residential - 5594 Cathedral Oaks, Goleta 93117, residence of Alejandro Mora.
November Residential -5585 Armitos Avenue, Goleta CA 03117, residence of Tom and Mary Lou Miller
You can nominate your favorite Goleta Valley Residential property by
downloading a nomination form.
Click here to see and download the nomination form
For residential properties contact Bonnie Freeman at 683-1878, for all other categories (Multifamily residence, Sustainable Development, Home Owners Association, Preservation of Goleta Valley, Public/Institutional, Open Space, Shopping Center, Commercial Orchard, Open), contact Phebe Mansur at 685-2277 or call 252-1952. Look for articles in the Valley Voice and the SB News Press.
3. GVB News Tidbits
- Goleta Valley Beautiful Annual Holiday Party - Take a break and come join us for a delicious dinner and cozy dinner with Board members and Goleta Valley Beautiful volunteers. For reservations, see the end of this newsletter.
- Goleta Valley Beautiful Board Member Changes - Thom Myall, Goleta Valley Board Member/Urban Forest Committee Chair for the last three years, has stepped down from his position to spend more time with his family. Thom also organized our annual Goleta Valley Heritage Tree Tour, so he is leaving big shoes to fill. Thom will continue as our Webmaster. Bonnie Freeman will be moving from Committee Chair to Board Member. Bonnie heads our Awards Program and had been very active in school and neighborhood beautification projects. That still leaves us with 2 openings on the Board.
- County Oak Specialist Hired - Lottie Martin has been hired by the Agricultural Commissioner as the Oak Tree Specialist for Santa Barbara County. Ms Martin will work with private and public landowners to implement the Santa Barbara County Oak Tree Program. She will be a speaker as part of our Basic Young Tree Care Workshop on February 4. You can reach her at 934-6200 or 681-5600
- Beautify Dos Pueblos High School - Despite trying conditions during construction, Committee members are funding student initiated projects to help clean up the campus and improve the landscaping, as well as long range planning. The next meeting is Monday December 12 in the Dos Pueblos High Library.
- City of Goleta Street Tree Species Changes - The Design Review Board Street Tree Subcommittee is recommending several changes to the official list of tree species allowed on City public right of way. Additions include the Island Oak (Quercus tomentella), California Sycamore (Platanus racemosa), Catalina Ironwood (Lyonothamnus floribundus asplenifolius). Deletions include the London Plane Tree and the Queen Palm.
- Grants Awarded - The Mid State Bank and Trust Foundation provided a $2000 grant to Goleta Valley Beautiful to help with our youth programs, and the Hutton Foundation awarded a Media Grant which will result in a January 12, 2006 four-page insert in the Santa Barbara Independent. We are honored to receive their support.
-What is a Biltmore Stick? - A new gift offered to our Family level donors is a Biltmore Stick, which is a yardstick sized tool for measuring the diameter of trees. When you flip it over, it is a Merrit Hypsometer, which measures the height of trees. No batteries required.
- Goleta Valley Beautiful 2006 Membership Renewals - Membership renewal letters for calendar year 2006 were mailed the first week of November. This is our only membership mailing, so please take this opportunity to renew your support. We are also contacting other members of the Goleta Valley community, so please excuse us if we have sent you more than one letter. If by chance we have missed you, please use the form at the end of this newsletter.
-Goleta Valley Beautiful Partners with Albertsons to help our youth-
When Albertsons shoppers link their Preferred Savings Card to Goleta Valley Beautiful^s community Partners ID number 49001008145, Albertsons will make a quarterly cash contribution to Goleta Valley beautiful based on eligible purchases made by linked supporters. It is an easy way to help support Goleta Valley youth that doesn^t cost you anything extra! Funds will be used for Arbor Day projects at Goleta schools, children^s books for the Goleta Valley library, and community service projects involving at-risk boys. Check our website or www.albertsons.com. If you are already linked with another youth organization,, thank you for supporting them as well.
WISH LIST FOR TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATIONS
- trenching shovels, pitchforks
- Reflector vests
- Laptop PC computer
- Hand pruners, folding tree saws
- Pick mattocks with fiberglass handle
- D-handle handtrucks
- Heavy duty 9^ x 12^ tarps
- Digging bars-72^
- Leather gloves
- Concrete saw & a Stump grinder
- Cases of water/soda/packaged snacks for volunteers
4. Event results/kudos
- GVB Tree Planting and Care last month
Trees- Species - Location - Date - Hours - Action
0- Various- Oro Verde, Andamar - 11/5/05- 14- Tree inventory
0- Various- SB Shores, Armstrong- 11/6/05- 30- Tree Inventory
0- Various- Los Carneros Park- 11/12/05- 300- Tree Inventory
1- Magnolia- Grace Baptist- 11/16/05- 15- Tree Planting
0- Various- Yaple,Via Miguel,- 11/19/05- 20- Root Shields
8- Tipu, Ginkgo- Girsh, Yaple- 11/23/05- 18- Tree Planting
0- Various- Winchester Canyon- Various- 12- Watering, weeding
0- Various- Devereux Greenhouse- 12 days- 120- Repotting, Maintenance
9 - Total Trees planted - 529 volunteer hours
Thanks this month to tree workers Bob Lugo and the Work Training Programs Crew (Bob returns to Devereux next month-we hope to still work with him), to UCSB Interns Stella Faturos and Jamie Jones for assistance with grant applications and implementation, for Urban Forestry Committee members Alan Scholl and Itai Shelem for working on various inventory and planting projects.
- Highway 101 Landscaping Project - GVB and City of Goleta representatives met with CalTrans Landscape Architect Kathryn Brown to review the final design plans for a combined safety and landscaping rehabilitation of the Turnpike, Patterson, and Storke/Glen Annie Interchanges. We were pleased at CalTrans greater use of native and drought tolerant plants, and their sensitivity to local conditions.
-Neighborhood Cleanups - The Nasons worked 3.5 hours and picked up 3 bags on 11/19 (no report on 11/12), working the usual section of Cathedral Oaks and Los Carneros, and revisiting Patterson from Cathedral down to University and along Cathedral west one long block from Patterson. Don, Judy and their group do projects on the second and fourth Saturdays of the month. GVB will sponsor cleanups with your neighborhood groups at your request, just call 252-1952
-City Park Tree Inventory continues - Volunteers helping with the tree inventories within the City of Goleta include 3 with UCSB Circle K, 10 with Business fraternity Alpha Kappa Psi^s Xi Pledge class, and 100 from 3 states with Nu Alpha Kappa and their pledges. Thanks to all.
5. Water Kings and Queens. -
Winter rains have been sporadic as late November, so supplemental watering will assist new trees planted this year. Please leave your hose on your tree at low volume (no runoff) for an hour or two until the ground is thoroughly moist to a depth of foot or two once every two weeks if there hasn^t been any significant rain.
6. Welcome New/Renewing donor member -
R designates renewing member, + designates exceeding minimum contribution for that category
We have so many renewing and new members to list that we are concentrating our efforts at updating e-mail addresses. We^ll list names in next month^s issue.
Thanks for discounts/donations/reduced prices and services from Pacifica Suites, Camino Real Marketplace, CopyRight, West Covina Nurseries, Devereux of California, CPA Debbie Quigley and all of our business sponsors and Silent Auction donors listed on this website. We appreciate the ongoing coverage of our events in the Santa Barbara News Press, The Independent, and The Valley Voice.
7. 2006 Annual Donor Membership Information
- Clip here and mail to:
Goleta Valley Beautiful Membership, PO Box 6756, Goleta, CA 93160-6756
Yes, I want to help Goleta Valley Beautiful^s efforts to beautify and green the Goleta Valley.
Here^s my 2006 calendar year membership gift of:
___ $35 Basic - includes newsletter and invitations to special events
___ $45 Supporting - Includes a laminated original Goleta Lemon Association label lithograph
___ $65 Family - Includes a GVB Polo-shirt, or 4 commemorative labels, or 1 Biltmore Stick
___ $125 Business Sponsor - Includes business spotlight in our e-mail newsletter, & family member benefits
___ $190 Honor Tree- Includes membership and a handsome certificate sent to whoever you designate with plaque - Includes membership, a certificate and a plaque at the base of your tree
___ $1000 Benefactor - Includes 2 invitations to each: Annual Banquet, Heritage Tree Tour and Holiday Party + Honor Tree
___No premiums Please!, Use my total donation to support GVB
$___ Donations - All contributions and memberships are tax deductible
_______ Service membership - Please contact me about volunteering for the GVB community
Visa/MasterCard number_______________________________ Expiration ____________
If Business, contact person __________________________________________________
City, State, ZIP____________________________________________________________
E-mail (used only for Newsletter/GVB special events)
GVB is a 501c3 nonprofit organization, federal tax id # 23-7392774
Goleta Valley Beautiful Office: 5638 Hollister Suite 200D Goleta CA 93117 Phone: 683-0121
Mailing : P. O. Box 6756 Goleta, CA 93160-6756 www.goletavalleybeautiful.org Cell Phone 252-1952 E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Board of Directors: Laura Funkhouser-President, Lori Roper - Vice President, Doug Winter - Secretary, Tami Mason - Treasurer. Board members: Merlyn Cummings, Al Turnbull, Bonnie Freeman, Kristen Amyx, Phebe Mansur, Alan Scholl, David C. Fainer, Jr., Scott Bull, Itai Shelem
Executive Director - Ken Knight - Member California ReLeaf Network-
Newsletter funded in part from a California ReLeaf 2005 Urban Forestry Education and Outreach Grant
Board of Directors meetings at Pacifica Suites, 5490 Hollister Avenue, from 7:00 AM to 8:00 AM on the first Friday of the month.
Our mission: To ensure and improve the beauty of the Goleta Valley through our 5 goal areas, (1) Urban Forestry Management (2) Neighborhood Responsibility (3) Business Responsibility (4) Education (5) Public Area Beautification.
Download the Holiday Party Reservation form by clicking here
Back to Top