Goleta Valley Beautiful News
GVB cell phone 252-1952, E:mail email@example.com
Nominations are now being accepted for the 31st Annual Goleta Valley Beautiful Awards Banquet. Eligible recipients are any Goleta Valley properties between Embarcadero and State Route 154 Nominations must be received by Thursday April 7 See below
1. GVB Community Service opportunities - General public welcome, especially jr.high to college students
- April 2 Tree Planting-Page Youth Center 4540 Hollister Ave -Saturday 9 AM to Noon. Join UCSB Circle K and Kiwanis members in a tree planting project. No experience necessary, equipment provided. RSVP 252-1952
- April 4, 11 Tree Planting on the Devereux Campus Join Devereux clients/staff in planting trees on the 18, 25 Devereux campus. Monday afternoons from 12:15 to 2:45. Equipment provided, no experience necessary. Call 252-1952 for specific location and more information.
- April 9 Tree Infill Planting Day - Sat 9 AM to Noon Meet at GVB Storage area on Santa Felicita Rd. Take Storke Road towards UCSB and make a right onto Santa Felicita behind Home Depot. Make the first left off Santa Felicita into the parking lot next to the Girsh Park bioswale.
We^ll meet on the opposite side of the parking lot. Don^t be late! RSVP 252-1952
- April 16 Goleta Valley Junior High Tree Planting - Sat. 8 am-noon, 1-5 PM 6100 Stow Canyon Rd Planting 29 trees as part of a Leaf-It-To-Us project. Call Maureen Kincannon 964-2181 to RSVP. Equipment provided, no experience required, children and families welcome!. Note 2 shifts.
- April 20 Goleta Valley Junior High Tree Planting - Wed Noon to 4 pm 6100 Stow Canyon Rd Planting 11 trees as part of a Leaf-It-To-Us project. Call Maureen Kincannon 964-2181 to RSVP. Equipment provided, no experience required, children and families welcome-early dismissal day.
-April 23 Ellwood Elementary School Tree Planting - Sat 8 am to noon, 1-5 pm 7686 Hollister Ave Planting 30 trees as part of a Leaf-It-To-Us project. Call Jeff Haight to RSVP 961-9807 Equipment provided, no experience required, children and families welcome-Note 2 shifts
- April 30 Park Tree Planting - Sat 9 AM to Noon Meet at GVB Storage area on Santa Felicita Rd. Take Storke Road towards UCSB and make a right onto Santa Felicita behind Home Depot. Make the first left off Santa Felicita into the parking lot next to the Girsh Park bioswale. We^ll meet on the opposite side of the parking lot. Don^t be late! RSVP 252-1952
- April 9,23 Anti-litter cleanup - Report litter problem areas to Judy Nason of Cambridge Drive Community Church at 964-0436, and volunteer to help with clean-up crews on 2nd & 4th Sat., 9 to 11 am.
- May 1 Tree Planting at Trigo-Pasado Park in Isla Vista, Sunday 1 PM to 4 PM Planting 6 trees prior to the grand opening later in May of this newly redone park. Contact Tanya Novak at firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer.
- Apr-Jun Tree Planting Project Leaders-Spring Term - UCSB students wanted for organizing tree planting projects in the Isla Vista community under the direction of a Certified Arborist. Stipend provided for completed projects. Send inquiries to email@example.com
- Ongoing Develop your own Goleta Valley Beautification project! Goleta Valley Beautiful will provide resources and expertise to youth groups interested in developing their own tree planting, maintenance, educational and clean-up programs.
Good opportunity for 4-H, Boys and Girls Clubs, Scouts, school groups, fraternity/sorority, church groups and any Goleta Valley area youth groups. Call 252-1952 to develop a project.
- Ongoing Graffiti Cleanup - Report acts of graffiti to Ed Graper at 964-7117 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org Contact Ed if you would like to help remove graffiti in your area. Supplies and training provided.
- April 13 Arbor Day Presentation at Isla Vista School 1:30-2:30 - call 252-1952 for details
- April 29 National Arbor Day Tree Planting at Kellogg Elementary - call 252-1952 for details
- May 14 DATE CHANGE - - Please note that the date for the GVB 31st Annual Awards Banquet and Silent Auction has been changed from May 21 to May 14 at the Holiday Inn in Goleta.
2 - GVB Residential and Business Awards of the Month & Annual Nominations due by April 7
- March 1075 N Patterson Ave., Aavo and Fran Koort, owners
- April 5371 Agana, Vicky Collins and Bill Ringer owners
- March - Storke Ranch, Phelps and Storke Rd- James Nguyen, Bartlein Co.- Property Managers, Van Netta and Associates-Landscape Design and Kitson Landscape Maintenance -Maintenance
- April - Airport Plaza, Fairview Avenue, Bermant Development Company
Nominate your favorite place by downloading our nomination form here on Goleta Valley Beautiful website at Clicking here to see and download the nomination form For residential properties, contact Bonnie Freeman at 683-1878. For commercial/office/homeowner associations call Marc Bradley at 967-3738. Look for articles in the Valley Voice, the South Coast Beacon and the SB News Press.
Nominations are now being accepted for the 31st Annual Goleta Valley Beautiful Awards Eligible recipients are any Goleta Valley properties between Embarcadero and State Route 154 Nominations must be received by Thursday April 7
Tell us who you are, how to contact you, and why you think the nominee deserves special recognition.
- Single Family Residence
- Multifamily residence or apartments
- Sustainable Development
- Homeowners Association Common Area
- Preservation of Goleta Valley
- Public Park or Open Space
- Shopping Center
- Firescape Design
- Commercial Orchard
- Open Category
Join us for the 31st Annual Awards Ceremony and Silent Auction
Saturday, May 14, 2005 – Holiday Inn Goleta
Master of Ceremonies Larry Crandell
Send nominations to
GVB, PO Box 6756, Goleta CA 93160-6756
For information call 252-1952
3. GVB News Tidbits
- New Business Benefactor Advertising Opportunities - Water seeped into the transmission of our one-ton truck during the recent rains and caused transmission failure. In order to recoup some of the $4300 unbudgeted repair cost, the Executive Committee has authorized a new category of $1000 Business Benefactor members, limited to 5 per year. Each Business Benefactor will receive a 4^ x4^ advertising space on the side of the GVB truck. Each advertising space will be put in place for one year. Signs of paint, tape or magnets will be the responsibility of the advertiser. To reserve a location, call 252-1952.
- Arbor Day Presentations - GVB Certified Arborist Ken Knight will be making school presentations at Isla Vista and Kellogg Schools in April after completing presentations at Mountain View, La Patera and Kellogg in March. The presentations this year integrate tree information into the elementary school curriculum requirements, particularly in life sciences. The content of each presentation will be modified to suit the needs of the audience. To reserve a presentation time, call 252-1952
- Annual membership due- Thanks to a number of membership renewals in March that is pushing our donor membership total to near 300. Non-renewing donor members will receive an e-mail in April stating that their names will be deleted from the donor membership roles.
If you haven^t been contacted yet, you can always use this membership application Membership Form
Fact: only 4 out of every 10 people receiving this newsletter are Donor members of GVB.
WISH LIST FOR TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATIONS
- Non-leaking garden hose, any length
- Laptop PC computer
- Hand pruners, folding tree saws
- Shovels, rakes, hoes, pitchforks/spade forks
- Children^s books regarding trees
- Recycled 6^-8^ wood tree stakes
- Cases of water/soda/packaged snacks for volunteers
4. Event results/kudos
- GVB Tree Planting and Care last month
Trees - Species- Location - Date- Hours - Action
1 -Pink Trumpet - Girsh Park- 3/4/05 - 8 - Planted/mulched
9 - Coast Live Oaks- Camino Corto- 3/5/05 - 54 - Planted/mulched
10 - Coast Live Oaks- Camino Corto - 3/6/05- 49- Planted/mulched
5 - 4 Metro, 1 Oak- Devereux Campus- 3/7/05- 16- Planted/mulched
4- Amber,Flame,Pink,Arbut- Girsh Park - 3/12/05- 11- Planted/mulched
4 - Jacaranda - Devereux Campus- 3/14/05- 21- Planted
4 -Jacaranda- Devereux Campus- 3/21/05- 15- Planted
8- Various species- SBCo Station 11 - 3/26/05 - 40 - Planted/mulched
6- Oak,Big Leaf,Torrey- Devereux Campus- 3/30/05-18- Planted/mulched
52 - Total trees planted - 232 volunteer hours
Thanks this month to tree volunteers Bob Lugo and the Devereux crews, Dan Hernandez and Los Prietos Boys Camp, UCSB Project leaders Kelly Meehan, Tanya Novak, and our ever expanding crew of great volunteers, and to the Goleta City Council and Girsh Park for sponsoring the 3/4 Arbor Day celebration
- GVB Board member changes - We bid a fond adieu to Board Member Dan Condon, who is moving to Michigan with his family to enjoy their new home. Dan says he^ll be back to regale us one last time for the Fourth Annual Goleta Valley Heritage Tree Tour on June 26. Joining the Board is Scott Bull, Grants Manager for the Shoreline Preservation Fund, one of our sponsors. Scott is still getting used to our meetings being at 7 am rather than 7 pm. Welcome aboard!
- Neighborhood Cleanups - No report for March yet, check back next month. Judy and her group do projects on the second and fourth Saturdays of the month. GVB will sponsor cleanups with your neighborhood groups at your request, just call 252-1952
- GVB Advisory Council- The March 16 meeting of the Advisory Council provided the vigorous exchange of ideas that help us keep on our toes. A specific result of this years meeting were letters signed by the Advisory Council and delivered to the Goleta City Council by Ida Rickborn on March 21 and by Harriett Phillips to the County Board of Supervisors on March 22. The letters supported continuing efforts to attain/sustain Tree City USA status, which is a nationally recognized award that demonstrates a minimum level of support for public tree management programs. The City letter thanked the City for meeting two of the four criteria, and recommended the City place efforts in improving its tree ordinances and establishing a formal tree advisory board to enforce the tree ordinances. The County letter lauded the county on reaching Tree County status, and suggested that GVB volunteers are willing to provide input to the County^s Tree Advisory Board, which is composed of the Board of Supervisors. Thanks to all who attended and to Southern California Edison for their meeting room.
- Devereux Greenhouse Update Despite a rainy month, Devereux clients are working hard to fill up the 500 15 gallon containers outside the greenhouse with transplanted trees grown inside the Greenhouse. The first transplants have been California Buckeyes, Coast Live Oaks, Torrey Pines and Valley Oaks.
The American Forests National Conference has invited us to make a presentation of our project at their National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina November 16 and 17. We^re seeking funding to send a representative.
- Shoreline Preservation Fund Update With the term drawing to a close, several of the more active volunteers have graduated. We are looking for more volunteers and particularly an intern or two who would like to learn the ropes of urban forestry and what it takes to run a nonprofit. Some reimbursable expenses, and it looks great on the resume. Call 252-1952
5. Water Kings and Queens. -
Still no watering necessary. Please check that mulch at the base of the tree is not touching the bark of the trunk. It may have floated there during recent rains. Also check for erosion of soil and replace around roots but not above the root crown. Please report any insect, disease or damage problems to GVB at 252-1952. Now is the time to weed while the soil is still moist and the roots will come out easy.
6. Welcome new/renewing donor members -
R designates renewing member, + designates exceeding minimum contribution for that category
Donor - Nancy Arnold-R, Walter and Nan Crooks-R
Supporting - Beverly and Steve Balash-R, Walt Guina-R, Cindy Lavasseur-R+, Allison Tamminga-R, David Gress-R, Bruce and Brenda Tarr-R, Michael and Rebecca Miller-R, Carolina Blokdyk-R
Family - Charles and Patricia McPartlin-R, Joan and Colin Jones-R, Dorchen Forman-R+ , Micki Stern-R,
Special Thanks to Our Returning Business Sponsors - Enerpro-R, Camino Real Cafe-R
Honor Tree Members - Mike Connors
Thanks for discounts/donations/reduced prices and services from Goleta Union School District, Pacifica Suites, Camino Real Marketplace, CopyRight, Western Farm Service, San Marcos Growers, Marborg Industries, Kitson Landscape Management, Growing Solutions Restoration Institute, and West Covina Nurseries.
Our Silent Auction donors will be recognized in our Awards program and on our website, along with a complete listing in our June newsletter
7. Business Sponsor of the Month-
Enerpro 5780 Thornwood Drive Goleta CA 93117 (805) 964-0798 Frank J. Bourbeau Founder and President
Enerpro was incorporated in 1983 for the purpose of designing and manufacturing industrial power control circuit boards and assemblies. The initial product was a thyristor trigger board that could be adapted to many applications. this board became an industry standard, selling at ever increasing levels worldwide. Other boards and assemblies of increasing complexity have been developed for many applications such as plating, welding, battery charging, steel production, oil and gas well drilling, uninterruptible power supplies, aircraft ground support and water purification. Recent products includes a silicon switch for the GE 1.5 MW wind turbine and a 74 V rectifier for the GM/EMD SAD70Ace locomotive.
To visit ENERPRO click here and you will be taken to their site.
8. 2005 Annual Donor Membership Information -
back to top