Goleta Valley Beautiful News
GVB cell phone 252-1952, E:mail: email@example.com
Water Kings and Queens, Please water weekly!
1. GVB Volunteer/Community Service opportunities - .
- Aug 7, 21 Cleanups of selected Goleta streets such as Cathedral Oaks, Patterson and Los Carneros Saturdays, 9:30 AM to Noon. Call Judy Nason at 964-0436 and leave a message.
- Aug 20,21,27, 28 Tree Plantings Public locations of Goleta Valley planting sites to be determined. Call - 252-1952 or e-mail kennethknight@Cox.net for further information. Students please bring your community service forms. Tools, drinks, & snacks provided. No experience enquired. Tree planting projects under the supervision of a Certified Arborist.
- Special GVB Board position openings-One year term. Candidate should enjoy speaking with GVB members, nonprofit policymaking, urban forestry, and/or monitoring government activities, Call Sam at 967-0595
-Ongoing Interviewers needed to make phone calls and follow-up in person visits if necessary to determine the interest of residents in the planting and care of public parkway street trees adjacent to their property. Hours and Goleta Valley locations vary according to your schedule and interest. Call 252-1952
-Ongoing Develop your own Goleta Valley beautification project! Goleta Valley Beautiful will provide resources and expertise to youth groups interested in developing their own tree planting, maintenance, educational and clean-up programs.
Good opportunity for 4-H, Boys and Girls Clubs, Scouts, school groups, fraternity/sorority, church groups and any youth groups in the Goleta Valley area. Call 252-1952 to develop a project.
- Ongoing Graffiti Cleanup - Report acts of graffiti to Ed Graper at 964-7117 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Click Here Contact Ed if you would like to help remove graffiti in your area. Supplies and training provided.
- Ongoing Anti-litter cleanup - Report litter problem areas to Judy Nason of Cambridge Drive Community Church at 964-0436, and volunteer to help with clean-up crews.
2. GVB Residential and Business Awards of the Month
Residential July - 5178 Calle Asilo, Rob and Cathy Kooyman, owners, Kitson Landscape Management, Inc, -Landscape designer
Residential August - 5211 Mono Drive, Lauren and John Pittman, owners
Business August - To be announced
Nominate your favorite place by downloading our nomination form. Click here to see and download the nomination form.
For residential properties, contact Bonnie Freeman at 683-1878. For commercial/office/homeowner associations call Marc Bradley at 967-3738. Look for articles in the Valley Voice and the SB News Press.
3.Business Sponsor of the Month –
Toyota of Santa Barbara, 5611 Hollister Avenue in Old Town Goleta. Denny Franks has been a loyal benefactor of Goleta Valley Beautiful for many years. He has received many honors from the Goleta Valley community for his generous support of many nonprofit causes. We add our thanks to the list.
4. GVB News Tidbits -
- El Encanto Heights Beautification Project - The project involves large-scale dryland landscaping of the 20 ^ wide southern portion of Calle Real (next to Highway 101) between Colusa and Daffodil. Next action points are to review the final design plan for presentation to the City^s Design Review Board on their August 17 meeting, coordinate logistical details with City staff, and prepare the site on Saturday September 18 (United Way Day of Caring). The planting date has been moved from Saturday October 16 to Saturday October 24 to avoid a conflict with the Lemon Festival. For more information and to assist, contact Project Coordinators Bonnie Freeman at 683-1878 or Ken Knight at 252-1952. We^ll try to get the proposed planting plan onto our website, www.goletavalleybeautiful.org. Thanks to the City for mowing the area.
- GVB Mid-summer Hiatus - GVB activities will slow down in late July/early August as Executive Director Ken Knight takes a vacation. On August 10, Ken will deliver a presentation at the Annual Conference of the International Society of Arboriculture in Pittsburgh PA. The title of the presentation is "Tahitian Snow - How can arborists talk to accountants about trees as capital assets?"
- Santa Barbara Shores/Coronado Tree Planting Preparation - We need to do more neighborhood surveys before we can proceed with tree planting in this area. Later this summer GVB will initiate the first of a series of street tree plantings in the City of Goleta with the help of Proposition 12 funding. We could use some help in notifying residents in the area about their preferences. Call 252-1952.
-Cathedral Oaks trees - You may have noticed that Brisbane Box trees along Cathedral Oaks Road from Glen Annie to King Daniel are particularly drought stressed. the trees on the south side are holding up well as expected after several years in the ground. However the trees on the northside next to the Glen Annie Golf Course are sitting in hardpan soil that has not allowed the trees root system to develop adequately. We are working with the Goleta Lions Club to seeking short and long term solutions to this problem.
- Tree Planting/Maintenance Requests - In the City of Goleta, send your requests to the Community Development Department, 6500 Hollister Ave Suite 120, Goleta CA 93117. In the unincorporated areas of the County, contact either the County Parks Department at 610 Mission Canyon Rd., SB 93105-2911 for trees in public parks or the Public Works Department at 123 East Anapamu St., SB 93101 for trees in the public right of way. You can mention that you would like to work with GVB in planting trees in public areas. Due to summer vacations, we^re running behind in getting trees in the ground, but we^ll catch up by late summer.
- Sympathy - Our heartfelt condolences to GVB member Jean Blois on the loss of her husband Bob, who died on August 1. A memorial service will be held at 11 AM on August 28 at the Goleta Presbyterian Church 6067 Shirrel Way, with memorials to the Goleta Presbyterian Church Building Fund
- Book Club - Member Jim Downing (961-9119) invites all booklovers to a monthly book club meeting at the Goleta Library. The next meeting will be Sunday afternoon August 22nd. Call Jim if you are interested.
WISH LIST FOR TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATIONS
- 10^ to 16^ flatbed trailer with working brake and signal lights
- Non-leaking garden hose, any length
- Shovels, rakes, hoes, pitchforks/spade forks
- 100 sq feet of office space
- Recycled 6^-8^ wood tree stakes
- Cases of water/soda for volunteers
5. Event results/kudos -
- Turnpike Area Tree Planting - Eagle Scout Candidate Robbie Hulme, his adviser Jim Bartlett, and over 350 volunteers planted 45 trees on July 9 in the Turnpike/Hollister area. This was the largest GVB volunteer tree planting project. Hats off to Robbie for a stellar job in preparing and participating in this large scale project.
GVB Tree Planting and Care during June -
Trees - Species - Location - Date - Hours- Action
45 - 9 species - Turnpike/Hollister SE- 7/9/04 - 800+ - Planted, mulched, Treegatored
5 - Primrose- Devereux- 7/2/04 - 18 - Planted, mulched
3 - 2 Mellalucca,1 Brisbane Girsh - 7/3/04 - 27 - Planted, mulched
4- 1 Olive,2 Oak,1Pistache Girsh- 7/10/04 - 27 - Planted, mulched
Thanks this month to tree volunteers at Los Prietos Boys Academy, Los Prietos Boys Camp, Kristian Blom and the Devereux crews.
- Neighborhood Cleanup - Judy Nason and her Cambridge Drive Community Church volunteers are continuing their anti-litter campaign along our roadsides. On July 10 they spent 4 volunteer hours along Los Carneros Road from El Collegio to Hollister collected 3 trash bags of litter. . On July 24 they collected 4 trash bags full in 8 volunteer hours along Cathedral Oaks from Patterson to Kellogg and on Patterson from Calle Real to Cathedral Oaks. Los Carneros Road from Glen Annie to Los Carneros.
6. Water Kings and Queens. -
Please refill your portable tree irrigators (Treegators) once a week. Treegator instructions can be found at www.treegator.com. If you have had new trees planted by GVB in the past year and a half and your tree is not watered by an irrigation system, call us at 252-1952 and we deliver a Treegator to you. NOTE: Treegators should be place on a short bed of mulch (no mulch touching the tree trunk) to avoid the holes on the bag from clogging up. If your Treegator stays full for more than ten hours, or if the Treegator empties almost immediately due to an oversized hole, contact us at 252-1952
If you don^t have a Treegator, you may need to create a temporary soil watering berm one to two feet away from the trunk and encircling your tree, and deep water your tree with a slow trickling hose.
7. Welcome last month^s new/renewing donor members -
R designates renewing member
No new members this month, but thanks to contributions from Gordon and Mary Jo Durenberger, Benefactor Jim and Marguerite Downing, Mr. Anonymous, and the Goleta Lions Club.
Thanks for discounts/donations/reduced prices and services from Pacifica Suites, Camino Real Marketplace, CopyRight, Island Feed and Seed, San Marcos Growers , and West Covina Nurseries.